Friday 9 September 2022

What has that wise one got on their head?

Wise-ones and witches, sorcerers and summoners, ghost-talkers and spirit-walkers...

...they've always got something on top of their head.

Text from wikipedia: The Sorcerer is one name for an enigmatic cave painting found in the cavern known as 'The Sanctuary' at the Cave of the Trois-Frères, Ariège, France, made around 13,000 BCE. The figure's significance is unknown, but it is usually interpreted as some kind of great spirit or master of animals. The unusual nature of The Sanctuary's decoration may also reflect the practice of magical ceremonies in the chamber.[1] In his sketches of the cave art, Henri Breuil drew a horned humanoid torso and the publication of this drawing in the 1920s[2] influenced many subsequent theories about the figure.[3] However, Breuil's sketch has also come under criticism in recent years.[4] A single prominent human figure is unusual in the cave paintings of the Upper Paleolithic, where the great majority of representations are of animals.
Sketch of a drawing of The Sorcerer, a 13,000 year-old cave painting

(Even as I write this I realise masks would be much more interesting, but I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of the latest psychedelic mesolithic RPG, Maskwitches of Forgotten Doggerland CW: images are "AI generated")





* * *

If you want to play with the code the link for the generator is here: 
 

Use the following code to embed this generator (or any other, just change the link) into your html:

<iframe src="https://null.perchance.org/wiseoneheadgear" style="border: none; height: 600px; width: 100%;"></iframe>

I made this post as I've had little time to do so in recent weeks, and felt guilty for neglecting this corner of the internet. Currently I'm working on getting the latest PARIAH Kickstarter completed in time for December, but have lots of other potential projects "on the boil", not least City of Ghosts, the ostensible PARIAH:VOL 2.

Creating RPG material—whether on my own or in collaboration with others—brings me great pleasure. To a lesser extent, I also enjoy casually interacting with the broader TTRPG "producer-consumer community".

However, I have decided to be more selective with the people and platforms with which I engage and have deleted the Alone in the Labyrinth twitter account.

In the grand scheme of things it's of no real consequence, I mention it only to alert the small percentage of my tiny readership who are on twitter wondering where the account has gone.

- Sofinho

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful collection of hats and hat-adjacent accessories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like semiurge said, these are really good. I hadn't given it much thought necessarily but I think you're right that headgear and masks feel particularly well suited to magical or spiritual beings in animist settings (or not just animist settings, but especially so).

    ReplyDelete