You may want to take a look at this 11 year-old post whic pops up in OSR circles from time-to-time:
(QUICK SOFINHO, INSERT AN EYE-CATCHING IMAGE!)
|I have a new red sharpie|
ROLL ONLY WHEN NECESSARY
So this is basic, but only roll when:
- There's a consequence to failure.
- There is an element of time pressure.
If it's not risky and the player isn't bothered when about when the goal is achieved, it can be assumed that the action is successful given sufficient time.
- Don't roll for knowledge: make a judgement based on the character's background etc. and either tell the players or let them find out information through questions.
- Investigation & perception checks: don't bother, again provide information based on the actions of the characters as described by their players
- Exception: sometimes it's fun to do listening rolls. You may have a different opinion regarding this.