Friday 15 November 2019

FIVE ON FRIDAY - THE LIBRARY OF BABEL IV

Lest we forget - the November theme continues! Commemorate the dead but also let's build a peaceful future for the living;  also, remember that the majority of casualties of war are civilians, not soldiers.

AN EXCLUSIVELY "[the] DISCOURSE" FREE EDITION!

THAT'S RIGHT! NO "DISCOURSE" HERE! WHAT IS A GAME? I DON'T EVEN KNOW, JUST COME AND ENJOY THIS 100% FRESH AND JUICY GAMEABLE OSR CONTENT!

SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED CENTIPEDES
NPC QUIRKS OF MANNER AND SPEECH
Sometimes I think I subscribe to the above blog purely because of its title: I mean, it's super evocative, isn't it? I also like to think of the centipedes as being memetic rather than physical, yet they exist as concepts only realisable at the point of climax. regardless, my thoughts on the subject are not very interesting, but thankfully the above post is! Roll 2d20 to get some an instant mannerism and quirk of speech... I just rolled "7" and "17": my NPC stands to close when speaking and often says "Now that's something I could sink my teeth into" (they won't last long I fear).

ARCHONS MARCH ON
'ROUND THESE HERE PARTS...
Here's something ripe: no preamble, just straight into the table. What makes character classes so different 'round these parts? According to the tables, round MY parts I can tell you that fighters posthumously marry the foes they kill, to mollify their wrathful ghosts; wizards have recorded their spells in the very land as enormous geoglyphs, readable only from the highest towers, which they compete to build and sabotage; while thieves are raised as such from orphanhood, bought and tossed into a hallucinogenic maze, with the surviving escapes inducted into their obscure order while those who survive but do not escape degenerate into things like pale, fungal minotaurs... but your parts my vary.

THE DICE BLADE
ALTERNATE DIMENSION GENERATOR
I really loved Lexi's meatropolis post last week and hope to compile a list of "one page settings" in the future, especially as I like planescape style campaigns where parties can dimension hop if they wish: it's always fun to have a random weird place in which they might emerge. Dice Blade has my back here, with this handy dimension generator! it could do with a bit more meat, but is really quite a hefty skeleton on which to hang an ad hoc campaign setting.

COINS AND SCROLLS
OSR: 1D1000 MUTATIONS
Speaking of list cuiration (which I write while curating a list), here's another curated list! The legendary machinery of Skerples has ground another indispensible resource for DMs looking to spice up magical malfunctions or benefactor's boons: a list of 1d1000 (I think that's three 1d10s) mutations detourned from Scrap Princess, Arnold Kemp, Joeskythedungeonbrawler and Elf Maids & Octopi!  I rolled 388, gaining a heat sensing eye that can see invisible creatures as rainbow silhouettes, and once again I wonder how long it will be before I finally make that Predator 2 RPG I keep telling myself should exist whenever I listen to Electric Wizard.
~
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE FROM SKERPLES THIS WEEK!

COINS AND SCROLLS
OSR: GARGOYLE AND GRUE STATS
I really want to focus this round up on stuff that can be used at the table, but I found that to be a little thin on the ground this week (especially as I wanted to avoid repeats), but this would have made a mention anyway as it provides us with a snapshot of what Skerples' monster manual is going to look like. Honestly, it's so clean and rationally laid out Ten Foot Pole is going to start dribbling all over their keyboard (wait, does Ten Foot Pole only review adventures?). A pair of gruesome write-ups contrast with the clinicism of the formatting, which is precisely how I want my horror arranged on page. Very excited to see who'll be interested!

Alright, that's all for now, don't discourse for too long everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment