Tuesday 14 September 2021

PARIAH HEXGEN #10: A HEX WITH A SOLITARY CONIFER

This post was thusly titled in an attempt to differentiate it from the previous dense taiga and upland taiga posts but make no mistakes: this is about a slightly less dense and flatter version of those two territories... perhaps begging the question why.

Well I shall tell you.

You might have realised that I cut my RPG teeth on BECMI and the later Rules Cyclopedia in the late 80s and early 90s, and I have a strong affection for the gazetteer series and the beautiful maps that they included. I loved them so much I've recreated them (though ever-so-slightly different) for the production of these hex generators... but more than that, I've created these generators to honour these hexes in some way.

You see, when my players would embark on overland journeys through the Grand Duchy of Karameikos all they had to differentiate one hex from another was a slightly different journey time and a choice of 8 monsters. Yet (as other authors have pointed out more eloquently than I) a 6 mile hex can be an entire world... and that's what I'm trying to do here.

(Not evening mentioning that gazetteer hexes were EIGHT miles across)

So here is the SPARSE TAIGA: somewhere between the dense forests of the far north and the either TUNDRA of the farthest north. Stick this on your map:






* * *

If you want to play with the code the link for the generator is here:

https://perchance.org/hexsparse-taigapariahh

Use the following code to embed this generator (or any other, just change the link) into your html:

<iframe src="https://null.perchance.org/hexsparse-taigapariahh" style="border: none; height: 600px; width: 100%;"></iframe>

* * *

You might like these other hex generators...



* * *

My new procedural hexcrawl adventure, Heart of the Primal Unknown, is currently available (PWYW) on DTRPG:


Please be aware that hard copies of PARIAH are STILL available to buy from the following retailers:


You can obtain PDFs from the following online vendors:

No comments:

Post a Comment